Platinum Metals Rev., 1958, 2, (3), 91
Petroleum Reforming Research in the USSR
The use of a platinum on silica gel catalyst for reforming a naphtha fraction has been studied by a group of chemical engineers working at the Division of Chemical Sciences of the USSR Academy of Science (Izv. Akad. Nauk USSR, 1957, 10, 1223–1228).
The catalyst had a platinum concentration of 0.5 per cent and was prepared by impregnating silica gel with a solution of chlor-platinic acid. The particle size range of the gel was 1.5 to 2.5 mm. The hydrocarbons in the naphtha fraction had a boiling range from 96 to 114°C and were, by volume, 55 per cent paraffinic, 39 per cent naphthenic and 6 per cent aromatic. The apparatus was of conventional design with an electrically-heated stainless steel reactor. It was arranged for gas-recirculation and was suitable for operation at pressures up to 50 atm.
The effects of pressure, hydrogen/hydrocarbon ratio, space velocity and temperature on the yield and composition of the product were studied. Altering the gas ratio had little effect, increasing the pressure and the space velocity diminished the yield of aromatics, while raising the temperature increased the aromatic hydrocarbon content. The optimum combination of conditions for the maximum production of aromatic hydrocarbons was established. The catalyst was an effective dehydrogenating agent, the aromatics coming chiefly from dehydrogenation of naphthenes.